Sunday, February 28, 2016

Feeling weak after last week.

I'm currently in a hotel room (by myself for the first time ever.. thanks mommy for trusting me ;)) in Palo Alto for only 14 hours because the clinical trial needs post blood samples from treatment #4. I tried to work my way around having to come back here just for 10 minutes of blood draws but the clinical trial has strict rules.  I'm worn out from a week of treatment and classes, from driving here and knowing that I have to drive back to Cal Poly tomorrow. But hey, good news is I finished my last clinical trial treatment last Monday!! Hip hip Hooray! Now let's pray that my PET scan shows that the trial medicine worked and I can move on to the journey of my Bone Marrow Transplant.

Last Monday went smoothly and that's what matters. As I mentioned in my previous blog, my oncologist gives me Benadryl and steroids before the clinical trial drugs to stop any allergic reactions from happening like they did for treatment #2 because I did NOT want to ever feel like that again. So of course, the Benadryl put me right to sleep and I slept during the whole treatment!! All 5 hours! That was pretty awesome to fall asleep and be woken up by my nurse saying "Hi honey, you're all done for the day, you can go!"

After treatment, my mom and I met up with Julie Lin at the Stanford shopping mall. She's one of the only women that I can talk about makeup with and she knows all the brands I'm talking about it! Lol I love it. We shopped around and had a yummy dinner.

I had to spend another night in Palo Alto, and the following morning(Tuesday) I had some blood draws and then drove straight to San Luis Obispo to make my afternoon math class. My mom and the  Chalker family convinced me to get the Audible app for these long drives so I started Amy Poehler's book for the drive back to school! So far, I was feeling great and no fatigue from treatment.

The rest of the week was hard. I started to feel weak, as if I had just run a marathon. I was tired from just walking from my car to my apartment. During chemo I would feel this same way, and I hated every minute of it. Just like my mom, I'm an on-the-go type of person! I don't have time to feel weak and stay in bed. I had to make up a midterm that I missed from my treatment day, and my homework load felt like it was getting bigger by the minute... At one point, I called my mom in tears. I was overwhelmed.  I also didn't have much of an appetite this week. I mostly ate tangerines and quest bars.

But it's now 6 days since treatment #4 and I'm finally feeling better!!

Only two more weeks left in Winter Quarter which means only 2 weeks left in San Luis Obispo before I have to officially move back home :( It's sad to think about but I'm ready to beat this cancer again!!

I'm procrastinating an essay and presentation due in a few days to write this blog post about treatment #4... lol I guess that's the life of a college student going through cancer treatment!

Spending the day in Napa before treatment #4

Shopping and dinner with Julie in Palo Alto

Matching Mommy and daughter shoes :) 



7 comments:

  1. As always Camille, your blogs are so heartfelt, inspiring and even funny, at times. You are one strong gal and I'm so proud of you. I believe with all my heart that you are going to be cancer free and even if you end up needing additional treatment before your bone marrow transplant, you are going to be dancing to victory. Being around you makes me feel joyful and happy. You just do that to people.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay strong camille! I admire your courage and stamina. You will beat this and I hope that the next few months will become just a faded memory as you go onto live a long happy life. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camille, I read your blog and I am impressed by your courage and good humor. Your attitude about life is a big asset in your arsenal to fight this terrible disease. Just know that we all are praying for your full recovery and that you become stronger everyday. Your smile says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you every day Camille. You are doing amazing, what an inspiration to everyone going through something similar. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI honey- I'm sorry I'm not a big shopper and don't know much about high-end brands and makeup, but I still love you very much and I'm so happy that our #BadAssJules cancer survivor was with us for your Final 4th and to point out the great shopping tricks at Stanford Mall. St. Patrick's Day will be your PET scan and March 23 we will know whether or not that damn tumor is gone! I love and admire your courage and will to stay in school. And don't worry, you will be 21 for the entire year so even if you are in the hospital for your 21st birthday, there will DEFINITELY be a future celebration. Love, Mommy xoxoxoxoooxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there Camille, you're doing great! We will keep you in our prayers for the scan <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are all thinking about you Camille. Our thoughts and prayers are with you for a full recovery! Sending positive thoughts your way! Thanks for writing the blog, it is so inspirational to read about your journey and I admire your courage and strength in all you have had to endure, (plus staying in school too), amazing to say the least! Stay strong! xoxo

    ReplyDelete